Monday, April 13, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane . . .

Journey to Carly - Day 15 April 13, 2005

Today was our big appointment at the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou. We met at 11:00 and walked to the Consulate as a group with our new daughters in our arms. We entered the waiting area, along with numerous other families from other adoption agencies and other parts of the world, and a few minutes later, a lady came out and asked us all to raise our right hands and swear that the information we had provided was true and correct. Of course we all said, "I Do!" And then she congratulated us and the festivities were over. Bam! Just like that, it was all done. The babies high fived each other, and back to the White Swan we went.

My Dad spent part of the afternoon yesterday and all morning today packing for the trip home. While he was furiously trying to fit it all in, Carly and I headed out with Robin and Kailee to find those last minute bargains that we knew we couldn't live without. We were successful!!! I came back to the room and asked my Dad if he could fit in 5 more pairs of squeaky shoes, and a few miscellaneous souveniers for Mike and the boys. He told me we were out of room, but he moved some stuff around and eventually was able to get everything inside our 4 suitcases and 4 carry ons! ha.

I am so ready to GO HOME!!! We leave this afternoon by train back to Hong Kong. Leaving China will be bittersweet -- oh, how I miss America - I can't wait to be back on U.S. soil. But this is Carly's homeland, the place where she comes from, so that makes leaving very much a bittersweet thing. I take comfort in knowing that we will return here some day to show Carly where she is from and to help her understand her Chinese heritage and culture. This has been one of the most intense, emotional experiences of my entire life. And I know my Dad will say the same. As so many people who have taken this journey have said ... I will leave a piece of my heart in China when that plane takes off tomorrow morning. This has been such an incredible trip. Truly the trip of a lifetime. I will go home a changed person ... forever.

It will be too late to post once we get to Hong Kong tonight, so you won't hear from me again until we are back in Illinois. Thanks again for following our journey.




(We weren't allowed to take cameras into the U.S. Consulate, so that's why there are no photos of the big festivities.)
A few more pictures from inside the White Swan hotel:



Oh how we wanted to bring one of these beautiful, hand-carved wooden chests home . . .

And a few more shots of the wonderful shopping area just outside our hotel. There was alot of construction taking place while we were there, so that's why you see barricades, etc. That sure didn't stop us from frequenting all of the wonderful little shops! :o)





On the train headed to Hong Kong -- on our way home at last!


No comments: