Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane . . . The Final Chapter

Journey to Carly - Day 16 April 14, 2005

This is it!!! The day we GO HOME!!!!

I'm writing this after the fact, so I can say how worried I was about that long, long, long flight back to the U.S. The concept of being in a plane for 14+ hours with a baby I hardly know was more than a little daunting. Well, I can tell you that my fears were unfounded. Carly did great on the trip home! Sure, she had a couple of fussy periods, but for the most part, she was quite the traveler!!! She slept for probably a total of 5 hours, but not all at once. She had fun playing in the galley with Kailee and Anna, walking up and down the aisles and getting her diaper changed numerous times in the teeny, tiny, little lavatories. We had a little diarrhea problem, so that kept things interesting. :o)

We arrived in Chicago a little ahead of schedule, zoomed through Customs and Immigration, had time to grab a Starbucks, and boarded our flight from Chicago to Bloomington. At approximately 5:30pm, we landed in Bloomington and the tears started flowing the minute our wheels touched the ground. As we pulled up to the terminal, I could see Alex, Nick, and Mike through the windows and that big lump in my throat got even bigger. I told Carly -- "We're home, sweetheart ... let's go meet your new family!" The homecoming was ultra emotional for me. I was crying, smiling, and laughing, all at once. Carly didn't know what to think ... she was a little overwhelmed by all of the people and the excitement of it all. I wouldn't change a thing about our arrival home ... her Daddy was the first one to get his hands on her ... she cried, of course, but that was to be expected. Her big brothers hugged her tight and her grandparents were next in line to size her up and give her hugs and kisses. And we can't forget the aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was all so sweet. Amy and Matt Edwards and Heidi were there -- thank you all for coming!!! It was so great to see your smiling faces! I so appreciate you being there when we walked off that plane. I can't wait until it is your turn!

What an awesome end to an awesome journey. And what an incredible gift we have been given. Carly Jade Miller, WELCOME HOME!!!!!

Thanks again for all of your encouraging notes, thoughts, and prayers during the last 16 days. I can't tell you how much they were appreciated. It has been wonderful to have such great friends accompany us on this incredible journey. THANK YOU ALL!!!!



In the Hong Kong airport waiting to get on our plane:

On the plane -- FINALLY!


At O'Hare. All dressed up and ready to meet her new family!

Daddy and the boys at the Bloomington airport waiting for Mom and Carly to get off the plane!

The first meeting:





Home at last. A VERY happy family!

No comments: