Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane . . .

Journey to Carly - Day 12 April 10, 2005

Greetings from Guangzhou! We had a great day today!!! First off, we immensely enjoyed the HUGE breakfast buffet here at the White Swan. Carly ate two times her body weight, I'm sure! I don't think there is anything the kid won't eat ... or at least try. We skipped the group sightseeing tour today so that we could leisurely explore the area around the White Swan. After breakfast, we loaded Carly into the Snugli and set out to do some shopping. Guangzhou is awesome! The stores all have really cool souveniers for great prices. I'm not sure how my Dad will fit everything into the suitcases, but he assures me he can do it. Everyone barters, which makes the experience even more fun. Each time we go out, I think of just one more thing I want to buy. Money goes a long way here, though, which is good!

We got Carly's Visa photo taken today - one more step toward home. Other than that, we had no appointments. Carly spent some quality play time with Kailee Martin in the Swan Room (baby playroom) here at the White Swan. Following that little outing, she promptly fell asleep for a very late afternoon nap.

The weather is kind of ugly today - misting and very heavy fog or smog, not sure which. Hoping to see some sun tomorrow.

With each passing day, we are closer and closer to home. I am so ready to get on that plane headed for the United States. I can't wait to introduce Carly to her new family and friends! And I can't wait to eat some good authentic American food!!! Speaking of which, we (Carly, me and Dad) ventured by taxi to the local Pizza Hut, which is located in a huge shopping mall in Guangzhou. We were the only caucasions around. Talk about feeling conspicuous!!! I was very proud of us for venturing out on our own a bit. The pizza was good but didn't taste like it does in the U.S. Carly tried spaghetti and loved it.

Tomorrow we'll be up and at 'em bright and early ... we have medical appointments for the Visa at 7:45am. We're hoping we will get to stay here at the White Swan vs. having to pack up and move for Tuesday night. Don't know yet what will happen, though.


Playing in our room at the White Swan:


Shopping in Guangzhou:

Playing before bed:
Some views of Guangzhou:






And this is a view of the renowned shopping area on Shamian Island, which is actually where the White Swan hotel is located.

The view from our room:

_________________________________________________________

Journey to Carly - Day 13 April 11, 2005

We were up at the crack of dawn this morning in order to get ready for the day and grab breakfast before heading to the doctor at 7:45. Carly passed her medical exam (for the U.S. Visa) with flying colors. She weighed in at 18.3 pounds and stands 28.1 inches tall. She's a little peanut - very compact and petite, but she definitely isn't all skin and bones! This little girl can eat!!! Her thighs have the cutest little fat rolls ... one way or another, she definitely had enough to eat in the orphanage.

When we returned from the medical appointment, we gathered in the lobby for our official group photo. What a fiasco!!! I think all of the babies were crying at one point or another. After the group photo, we did the famous "red couch" photo shoot -- again, the babies were not happy with what was happening. Carly joined right in and screamed her little head off, as you will see in the photos. The girls are all so darn cute!!! Many of the girls had on their new authentic Chinese outfits ... and when I sat Carly on the floor next to a couple of her orphanage "sisters", they looked each other over from head to toe as if to say, "What in the world do you have on? And what are those things on your feet??? I've never seen such a thing before!!!" Obviously, they have never been dressed to the hilt like this before and I don't think any of them had ever worn shoes before a few days ago. Now they all have squeaky shoes and they all love them. Even the non-walkers are now motivated to stand up and stomp their feet a little in order to hear the big reward (that annoying squeak!) from their shoes! :o)

In the afternoon, the group outing was to the Jade and Pearl Markets - and what an experience that was!! It was hotter than you-know-where in there ... I thought I was going to die. Carly was strapped on the front of me in the Snugli and the sweat was just pouring off of me. The little shopper that she is, Carly never complained. She just enjoyed all the activity and the free ride. The walk to the market was also quite an experience ... I posted a few photos of the things we saw along the way. Can you say YUK??? I am amazed at the things these people will eat. Snakes, seahorses, beetles, scorpions, starfish, to name just a few. Once we got to the market, we had a blast bartering for our treasures. I came away with 3 jade crosses (Mike and the boys, I'm not sure they are exactly what you were hoping for, but they were the best I could do), 4 strands of pearls, and 6 pearl rings. Grand total = $130 U.S. Amazing!!!

We spent a little time playing in the Swan Room here at the hotel and then headed to Lucy's for dinner. Unfortunately, my dinner didn't agree with me, so I'm a little under the weather currently with the stomach crud - traveler's tummy. (I'm writing this on Tuesday morning...). Hopefully it will pass soon and I'll be back out on the streets shopping! ha.

Carly is continuing to get sweeter and sweeter each day. She was a little grumpy on Monday but I think it is because of teething. You should see the teeth this kid has at 14 months! She has teeth coming in on the top and bottom, all the way to the back of her mouth. Ouch - That has to hurt!

We found out that we don't have to check out of the White Swan on Tuesday, as we had originally been told. Echo worked her magic and they found rooms for us for one more night - which means we'll be here until we check out on Wednesday to head back to Hong Kong. That was music to our ears - none of us were looking forward to packing, unpacking, and repacking.


Waiting for the medical exam:

Time to see the doc:

Not liking this AT ALL!


All dressed up and ready for the 'photo shoot':


Our travel group:
A tradition within the China adoption community is to take a picture on one of the many red couches in the White Swan lobby. This was our best attempt. None of the girls were too fond of the idea! LOL. Carly is 3rd from the right in the back row. As I recall, she was the first one to cry and the rest quickly followed suit.

On the way to the pearl and jade markets:

Scorpions for sale. Yes, they eat them! Ewwwwww!
More 'food' items for sale. The long skinny things in the bag are dried snakes. Double EWWWW!
Near the entrance to the pearl and jade markets:
Finally! Selecting our pearls!


___________________________________________________________

Journey to Carly - Day 14 April 12, 2005

First off, sorry for the delay in getting this update posted. By the time you read this, we will already be back home in the good ole' USA!!! Tuesday, April 12 was a laid back day for us. The group outing was to a baby outlet, and we opted not to go, so that we could do some last minute shopping in the stores near the White Swan. It was a good thing we didn't go, cause I ended up with a stomach bug, which had me down for most of the day. Thank goodness for my Dad!!! He took "Carly duty" for most of the day, and I pretty much just sat around and did nothing. We ventured out for a little while, but afterwards, we came back to the room and both Carly and I crashed for a long, late afternoon nap. All things considered, I am glad I ended up with the stomach flu on this day, instead of a travel day! I talked to some folks in the Swan Room who told me there was a bug that had been going around the White Swan, so that must be what I caught. At first, I thought it might have been that Sweet and Sour Chicken dish from Lucy's, but since I split my dinner last night with Jennifer and she didn't get sick, that couldn't have been it.

Hoping to feel better tomorrow!


No comments: