Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane . . .

Well, this is IT! Today marks the 4th anniversary of our long-awaited, much anticipated GOTCHA DAY, as it is commonly referred to within the China adoption community. On April 4, 2005, a precious baby girl named Jin Yan Zhuo was placed, by her loving nanny, into my arms. The memories and emotions associated with this special, special day are simply indescribable. Undoubtedly, every single person in that room at the Civil Affairs building in Nanning on the morning of April 4, 2005 experienced one of the most impactful, emotional, and life-changing events of their lives. We walked in as hopeful, prospective adoptive parents and we walked out with the DAUGHTERS we had only been able to dream about up to that point. Here's my journal of that incredible, wonderful day:


Journey to Carly - Day 6 - GOTCHA

Oh, WOW. I can't begin to put into words what just happened. The morning is a complete blur. I was a blubbering mess before we even left to go get the babies. My Dad tried to video me standing by the crib in our room before we left for the Civil Affairs building and all I could do was cry. He ended up narrating while I just stood there. The tears were flowing (and I wasn't alone) before we even exited the bus once we arrived at the Civil Affairs building in Nanning. We went directly upstairs to "the room" and across the hall ... were the babies!!!! The door was open, so of course we all clogged up the doorway trying to see if we could pick any of them out. I didn't see anyone that looked like Carly. Let me tell you ... the suspense while standing in that room, knowing that my new daughter was less than 20 feet away was unbelievable. And then, all of a sudden, the process began. We met the Director of the SWI, and another lady from Civil Affairs (I think ... it is all a blur) who explained what was going to happen next. And then they started to call the families' names, one by one. I kept looking for Carly's little bald head and didn't see it anywhere. All of a sudden, I saw a nanny standing in the doorway with the sweetest little girl in her arms. I got a good look at her face and knew instantly it was my Carly. My Dad and I were wearing the buttons Jill made (with Carly's picture on them) and the nanny saw them and started pointing to us and trying to get Carly to look our way. The nanny had a big smile on her face and tears in her eyes. Before I knew it, my name was called and the big handoff occurred. Carly was such a brave little girl -- she never once cried. She thought about it, but never broke down. She sized me up and then decided to cuddle into my shoulder. She was as quiet as a mouse. When we had our picture taken with the Director of the SWI, she cried a little when the Director took her from me, but the minute he handed her back, she settled right down.

We headed back to the hotel and have spent most of the day just getting to know our little sweetheart. Pappy got her to smile and even giggle. It is so obvious that she has been loved - she is quite used to getting held very tightly up against your shoulder and face. She is absolutely beautiful (not that I'm biased...). And you'll never believe it, but SHE HAS HAIR!!! And she has gorgeous eyes. And I even saw dimples when she was eating ... but I haven't gotten a big smile out of her yet. She is napping now ... her little personality is already starting to come out. Before her nap, she was eating and playing with two of the other babies from our travel group and she was making raspberries and baby talk and we even saw her stand up on her own. She didn't take any steps, but she could tell that she had impressed us ... so she sat down and then did it again a few seconds later. I bet we have a walker on our hands ... but I don't yet know for sure.

What an unbelievable day. Carly Jade Miller has arrived!!!!!



Waiting in "the room". I honestly thought I would pass out from the anticipation and excitement as we not-so-patiently waited for the process to begin!





The "hand off". Carly's nanny (from the orphanage) is on the left.




Seconds after the exchange. I'm thrilled. Carly's not so sure . . .



Sizing her up . . . I was thinking two things -- 1. She's so TINY!!! and 2. OMG - She has hair!!! (see below for more on the 'hair thing')

I'm saying, "Please don't cry! Please don't cry!". And, she never did. :o)



This is one of my most favorite Gotcha Day pictures. Within minutes of our first meeting, Carly settled in to my shoulder and latched on to my arm like she was never gonna let go. And me, well, I was absolutely on Cloud 9.




Back at the hotel, we started to get to know our little sweetie pie:



And for comparison's sake, I thought it would be fun to share the 'referral' pictures we received of Carly. These are the only pictures we had of her up to the day we met her in person, so now you understand my earlier comment about "she has hair!". :o) Needless to say, she had changed ALOT between the referral photos (when she was approximately 7 months old) and Gotcha Day (when she was 13.5 months old)!








No comments: